Home Purchase Plus Improvements
Every homebuyer has a list of things their new home “must have”. For some, it’s a pool. For others, it’s a home office or extra bedroom. Whatever the case, the home of your dreams is out there, it just might need some work.
If this is the case for you, a mortgage plus improvements is just the solution to transform your new home into your dream home. If the property you would like to purchase could use some renovations or repairs, this type of mortgage allows you to do just that. For as little as 5% down, you could be eligible to receive a mortgage plus up to 20% of the home’s value available in additional funds to cover the cost of the renovations.
A purchase plus improvements mortgage is ideal for people that want to add a little TLC to their home for renovations. Repairs can cover almost anything including:
- Anything really
Renovations must be completed by a licensed contract and or someone who keeps a detailed portfolio of their work online. The total amount available for renovations can be up to 20% of the properties exisiting value or $40,000.00.
Acceptable Loan Purpose
- Purchase transactions up to 95% or refinances up to 80% LTV
- Extended amortizations up to 30 years
- Maximum 4 units with at least 1 unit as the principal residence
- New construction only if the property has a tarion warranty.
- Existing properties located in markets with demonstrated ongoing re-sale demand.
- Estimated remaining economic life of the property should be a minimum of 25 years
- Step 1: Go house shopping and fall in love with the home of your dreams that needs that little touch a have a good idea of what renovations need to be done and a rough idea of how much it will cost.
- Step 2: Leo Ragusa will get you a quick approval based on the existing purchase price. You then go and get firm price quotes from contractors for all the work that needs to be done. Make sure the quotes are detailed and specifically state the work that is to be complete. Handwritten quotes will not be accepted.
- Step 3: Once I receive all the quotes then I will then have your mortgage approval revised to include the price of renovations.
- Step 4: On closing, you take possession as per norms of your new home and the renovations can start. Please, not that all work needs to be done by a contractor and proper permits need to be used.
- Step 5: When the work is completed the lender will require proof by way of letter or appraisal in order to instruct the lawyer to release funds.
- Step 6: Funds are released from the lawyer to you with a 10% holdback for 45 days to make sure that there are no outstanding bills/permits that need to be paid. After that, you will get the rest of the funds.
Kingston’s Mortgage with Improvement Expert
If you’re looking to purchase a new home and turn it into your dream home or a rental property, I would be happy to assist you. Over the years I have assisted many families and entrepreneurs purchase new properties and secure the additional funds they need to complete their desired renovations.
From helping you determine if your desired property is eligible for a purchase plus improvements mortgage, to securing you lending with lowest mortgage rates in Kingston, I will be by your side every step of the way.
The Benefits of a Purchase Plus Improvements Mortgage
Many people are often fearful of purchasing a property that needs some work. Instead they choose to purchase a newer home that does not require renovations. What many fail to realize though is that the home requiring renovations offers several benefits.
In most cases, the cost of the mortgage plus improvements will be less than the mortgage required to purchase a new home that requires no renovations. In addition to these savings, you will also have the ability to make money. Once the renovations are completed, the value of your home is likely to increase. This means that down the road when you’re ready to move again, your home will be worth more than when you initially purchased it.